Friday, May 30, 2008


From Ocean to Ocean
Yesterday I had a moment to sit on the beach without kids and watch the waves roll in as the sun was going down. It was a brief moment because Tom had taken the kids up the cliff for a hiking adventure. My legs were sore from a sunburn and tired. I sat on the sand mound with the ocean roaring and I heard God speaking directly to me. Such a soft voice to be heard but He was reminding me that 8 years ago I was on the other side of the United States sitting by myself at the Atlantic Ocean needing Him desperately after enduring some hardships. There on the Virginia beach He spoke clear to my heart. He told me how much greater He was than the ocean and definitely greater than my circumstances. My situation definitely improved for I met Tom and we got married. Now we have 3 beautiful children with one more son on the way. This year however has been rough. Some how I found myself back at the same spot I was 8 years ago, hurting and not sure if things would improve. But God in that special way that He pays attention to even the smallest details of my life arranged for such a moment as that one. Sitting there now on the Pacific Ocean by myself needing Him. He knew my time with Him would be interrupted soon so me spoke clearly about His love for me. Yet inspite of that I was finding it hard to let my heart trust Him. I knew that in all circumstances we are supposed to praise Him but my spiritual voice was missing. Tom and the kids returned and I sat there trying to be content that God had spoken to me and sighed. The kids being their usual selves became a huge distraction before long. Tom sat down beside me hand smiled. Maylee ran to the ocean with her stick to write in the sand. Tom followed and I just assumed he was going to help Maylee write everyone's name. Instead he wrote, "I love you". Which was quickly washed away by the ocean but forever written on my heart. I needed at that moment for him to be expressive toward me that way. He insisted that we sit back down together with the kids and watch the sun set. So we did, of course Lilly cried and Aiden threw sand and Maylee rambled on about something we could not understand but we watched and praised God inspite of the distractions. As the sun settled behind the earth God whispered I love You. He reminded me that marriage is for that very thing. When one half of the two He has joined together is weak the other can reach out and praise the Lord for them both. At that moment I felt two relationships were renewed. I love you Lord. I love you Angel. Happy 7 year anniversary!!!! With you both from Ocean to Ocean or anywhere!

3 comments:

The Gillaspie Family said...

We missed you guys are our ABF date night tonight, but I know you are right where you are supposed to be. Happy Anniversary!

A Berry Bailey Life said...

What sweet thoughts! You all look and sound like you are doing well in Cali. The beach is beautiful and so is your sweet family! Happy Anniversary!!! (We have our 7th coming up this month too!)

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! And thanks for sharing...