Warning: You have got your hands full!!
So when we found out we were going to be blessed with a fourth child, I was a little worried about all the comments I would get. Mostly because when I was pregnant with our third almost every person I came in contact didn't hesitate to comment on the number of children I had. Personally at the time I did not consider 3 kids to be a large number of children. The comments usually go something like this:
( These comments don't seem so bad. So read them with the same tone of "You have a huge spider on your arm.)
"Wow! You have got your hands full!"
"You are one busy person"
" You are brave"
"Are all these yours?" followed with "Wow you are having another"
"You must be wonder woman" my personal favorite especially since I don't recall wonder woman having any kids.
"You have got a tough job"
I usually respond with silence or a crooked smile. However I should come with a warning label that says *** May respond with sarcasm**** Poor well meaning souls have no idea the comments that could slip out of my mouth if I were to open it.
It is rude to overstate the obvious in any situation. Most people who are in a situation that you are not familiar with or scared of, already know they are in that situation. Comments like that only make them feel small.
If you feel the urge to say something make sure it is a word of encouragement.
I feel blessed that God trust me enough to give me four. In God's eyes children precious gifts, and arrows in our quiver. The fact that God would choose women to join Him in the creation of human life should be respected, valued and received with humility.
( These comments don't seem so bad. So read them with the same tone of "You have a huge spider on your arm.)
"Wow! You have got your hands full!"
"You are one busy person"
" You are brave"
"Are all these yours?" followed with "Wow you are having another"
"You must be wonder woman" my personal favorite especially since I don't recall wonder woman having any kids.
"You have got a tough job"
I usually respond with silence or a crooked smile. However I should come with a warning label that says *** May respond with sarcasm**** Poor well meaning souls have no idea the comments that could slip out of my mouth if I were to open it.
******So here is the true warning ******
It is rude to overstate the obvious in any situation. Most people who are in a situation that you are not familiar with or scared of, already know they are in that situation. Comments like that only make them feel small.
If you feel the urge to say something make sure it is a word of encouragement.
I feel blessed that God trust me enough to give me four. In God's eyes children precious gifts, and arrows in our quiver. The fact that God would choose women to join Him in the creation of human life should be respected, valued and received with humility.
Quote from Wonder Woman Comics
"If the prospect of living in a world where trying to respect the basic rights of those around you--and valuing each other simply because we exist--are such daunting, impossible tasks that only a super-hero born of royalty can address them...then what sort of world are we left with? And what sort of world do you want to live in?" -WONDER WOMAN #170
2 comments:
YOU GO GIRL! I got the rudest looks and comments from people when I was pregnant with Jaxon, and he was only my second! It was just that they saw how little Faith was and went crazy! I enjoyed reading your post!! Not too much longer for you!
Woo Hoo! Ditto girl. I have gotten every single one of those comments now that little Caroline is here. It's so annoying and I agree, quite rude and obvious. I love your post. Can't wait to meet Luke. Miss ya!
Post a Comment