Freckles on My Soul
Okay I probably try everyday to look in my mirror and like my freckles. Pep talks like," A face without freckles is like a sky without stars" (whatever that means), don't work, especially coming from someone who doesn't have freckles. I can't help but think, "I guess my freckles have joined together to spell the word 'dummy' on my forehead."
But I am trying to embrace the fact that God made me this way.
Really Lord what is the purpose of a freckle?.....
I have been told so many reasons why I have them, all of which are void of a purpose. When I look at other animals in nature who have skin variances to the other like animals I find that spots are either a gift to them to protect them from predators or finishing touches by the Creator for just pure aesthetic value. So did God give me these spots so I could camoflage myself or because He likes the way they look.
I am tossing around the idea in my head that maybe it is both. Yes... I know what you are thinking. I get the aesthetic thing...Christ in all His amazing creating skills can actually put something on His creation for just because He thinks it looks great. But I lost you on the predator thing.
Well let me explain... This world is crazed with the idea of sexy, flawless skin. So much so that for some reason my freckles are seen as flaws. It is only just recently that advertisers have started showing people with freckles, yet if you look closely most those are strategically airbrushed so that they in the right places and not too many of them. Don't believe me, start comparing the people you know who have freckles and the ones in the catalogs. You will see it. It is just advertisers attempt convincing you that they are not shallow. Because not liking someone because of their skin is absurd. Yet all the while they are trying to convince me that I am flawed because I have freckles and need to buy their products to cover up my flaws. I am pretty tough though... I am pretty smart... I can see their tricks as desperate attempts to get me to hand over my money. What makes me angry though is what the attack is doing to kids... to teenagers. How much longer are we going to let advertisers define what is beautiful to us.... to our kids.
Yet in all this I am some how finding myself grateful for my flaws. The freckles on my skin and the freckles on my soul. Shallow people see them and completely miss the real me. The freckles on my skin are a gift to help me find those people who can look beyond my spots and see the green and blue in my eyes. If you are reading this you are probably not shallow and can figure out how the freckles on my soul protect me from spiritually shallow people.
So the parting question is do you have freckles on your soul? If so embrace them... they are a gift.
But I am trying to embrace the fact that God made me this way.
Really Lord what is the purpose of a freckle?.....
I have been told so many reasons why I have them, all of which are void of a purpose. When I look at other animals in nature who have skin variances to the other like animals I find that spots are either a gift to them to protect them from predators or finishing touches by the Creator for just pure aesthetic value. So did God give me these spots so I could camoflage myself or because He likes the way they look.
I am tossing around the idea in my head that maybe it is both. Yes... I know what you are thinking. I get the aesthetic thing...Christ in all His amazing creating skills can actually put something on His creation for just because He thinks it looks great. But I lost you on the predator thing.
Well let me explain... This world is crazed with the idea of sexy, flawless skin. So much so that for some reason my freckles are seen as flaws. It is only just recently that advertisers have started showing people with freckles, yet if you look closely most those are strategically airbrushed so that they in the right places and not too many of them. Don't believe me, start comparing the people you know who have freckles and the ones in the catalogs. You will see it. It is just advertisers attempt convincing you that they are not shallow. Because not liking someone because of their skin is absurd. Yet all the while they are trying to convince me that I am flawed because I have freckles and need to buy their products to cover up my flaws. I am pretty tough though... I am pretty smart... I can see their tricks as desperate attempts to get me to hand over my money. What makes me angry though is what the attack is doing to kids... to teenagers. How much longer are we going to let advertisers define what is beautiful to us.... to our kids.
Yet in all this I am some how finding myself grateful for my flaws. The freckles on my skin and the freckles on my soul. Shallow people see them and completely miss the real me. The freckles on my skin are a gift to help me find those people who can look beyond my spots and see the green and blue in my eyes. If you are reading this you are probably not shallow and can figure out how the freckles on my soul protect me from spiritually shallow people.
So the parting question is do you have freckles on your soul? If so embrace them... they are a gift.
1 comment:
Okay, I just read this post about freckles. Love it.
I just bought 4 new goats. One of them is spotted! We love spots around here. A spotted goat is much more valuable than a plain one. Color and spots and blue eyes make a goat much more valuable than a solid uninteresting goat.
Remember than Jacob served Laban for 14 years. God caused Laban to give Jacob all the speckled and spotted sheep and goats. It is God who honors what the world despises!
You are greatly prized by the Most High God!
Post a Comment