Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Convenience
I am really starting to hate the phrase, "It's convenient." The older I get the more I realized that what seems to be faster and more efficient really is extra work in disguise. Plus the "easier" things get for me the more I come to expect it and the angrier I get when they are not easy.

Here is a convenience exercise. You pull up to your favorite fast food restraunt and of course go through the drive through. You select a predesigned meal from the menu. In the name of convenience you accept the fattening french fries, hamburger and large drink. You order a kids meal with a cheap toy of course to entertain them because you need them to be quiet as you keep yourself busy. Last pay for it with the credit or debit card which now you don't even have to sign or wait on a receipt for then pick up your food.

Sounds great right? We know the truth....

First that meal you just ate is loaded with lots of yummy "no! no!" stuff that will soon make its way to spread or damage some part of your body. The drink will perk you up for about thirty minutes but leave you hanging dead tired from sugar overload. Then before you know it is demanding that you drink another by triggering thirst. This will all drive you to they gym where of course you will work your "rear" off.
After a long day you finally get home with the kids and wrestle them out of the car and in the process the toy you paid way to much for falls apart. This creates an array of emotions in your child from anger to tears to falling apart. Of course you over react because you can't understand why they are behaving such over a toy.

When things finally settle down you go to the computer to balance your account and find out that the restraunt charged you three times for your meal. You call the next day only to discover the cashier had just been fired for stealing debit card numbers and over charging while conveniently take money from the register. You notice other charges on your account that aren't yours and now you have to go to the bank and explain what happen.

*** All of this is not sounding so convenient any more*****

2 comments:

Leah said...

I am totally in the same place right now! You wouldn't believe our checking account mess.
Currently, there is about $50 available that I have no idea where it came from.
Craziness!

Tom Spann said...

Good thoughts! How true it is that the small things all build up until you have a big mess. :)