Friday, October 27, 2006

Momma's Little Helpers

I pull open the diswasher door and my two older children (4 and 2 years old) gather around and hand me the dishes. Sounds sweet doesn't it? It actually is, in retrospect, but when I am in the midst of it, I get a little frustrated. Maylee starts picking up dishes that are way to heavy for her and usually fragile. Then she proceeds to carry them across the tile floor and flop them up on the counter, which she can't quite reach. Aiden has figured out that he can almost reach the silverware drawer so he picks up a butter knife and a fork, carries it around to the opposite side of the dishwasher, pulls open the drawer and tosses the utensils in. Then he closes the drawer and walks back around the diswasher to start the process over again.

Before I know it I can feel my blood pressure rising as I am rushing to catch falling dishes and dodging flying butter knives. My selfish nature would rather scream at the kids, yank the dishes away and plop them in front of a video while I finish my chores for the day. It definitely would be easier for me.

Then God sends His peace and reminds me to look at the eternal value of teaching my children to help me and help others. Even more so, He reminds me that He doesn't need my help and often times I am the child slinging the knives or picking up more than I should. Yet because He loves me and wants me to be in His presence He chooses to involve me. I don't have to help Him in order for His work to be accomplished, and actually I can make things tougher. But, in the end, the task is completed, and I am refreshed because I have a purpose and Someone who loves me so much.

Momma Bear......... let your children help you. Take the time to show them how and praise them for the precious heart behind it all.

2 comments:

Leah said...

Try putting only the things you want them to help you with on the bottom of the dishwasher and tell them that is their rack to put away. You could also save the larger items to wash after supper and put them away before you go to bed!
Loved the God analogy!

Anonymous said...

Aliright. Time to post something new. You can't just leave us wondering what's going on.